On Thursday 29 September, we celebrated the successes of our current Year 8 students for their achievements in their first academic year at Workington Academy as Year 7 students.
It was a fantastic occasion, opened by the Workington Academy Year 8 dance group performing a routine to Avril Lavinge’s ‘Fly’ and year 8 student Sophie Devlin singing a solo rendition of ‘The Climb’, as photos of achievements and highlights from the previous academic year rolled in the background.
The evening saw students being recognised for their achievements in a wide variety of areas accomplished within the last academic year, picking up certificates, medals, trophies and prizes, not only for academic excellence but for a range of triumphs including; outstanding effort and diligence, home-learning, attendance, sporting and music achievements, extra-curricular contributions, vivo points, house honours, form tutor awards, accolades in recognition of our Workington Academy values – respect, responsibility and resilience and many more.
The ceremony was very much as it should be – centred around and lead by our students and saw other student performances throughout the evening – including a piano piece played by Lucy Wilson and a trio orchestra piece performed by Charlotte Wilkinson on saxophone and Alicia Graham and Emma Shervinton on clarinets.
The ceremony culminated in the awarding of the Outstanding Boy and Girl Awards, which this year were presented to Lucy Wilson and John-James Glaister in recognition for their excellent contributions to all aspects of Workington Academy life and achievements both in and out of the classroom.
The evening was a fantastic event – with students applauding and encouraging all award winners and celebrating all students who had demonstrated being ‘the best that they can be’ throughout the last academic year – well done to all involved!
We already look forward to next year’s ceremony to award and celebrate accolades achieved throughout Year 8!
Individual Award Winners – Year 7 (2015-2016):
- 7AMI Tutor Award – Kaira Weston
- 7DWI Tutor Award – Abbie Parker
- 7APA Tutor Award – Alicia Graham
- 7AHO Tutor Award – Emma Shervinton
- Top Year 7 and Whole School Vivo Points Scorer Award – Lucy Wilson
- Bessemer House Award (Innovation and Creativity) – Ciaran Harrison
- Curwen House Award (Vision and Enterprise) – Charlotte McCombe
- Risman House Award (Leadership) – John-James Glaister
- Thompson House Award (Benevolence) – Chelsea Humes
- Year 7 Respect Award – Daniella Williamson
- Year 7 Responsibility Award – Chloe Bell
- Year 7 Resilience Award – Logan Hailes
- Outstanding Year 7 Sporting Contribution (Male) – Jake Wight
- Outstanding Year 7 Sporting Contribution (Female) – Alice Rush
- Outstanding Year 7 Girl – Lucy Wilson
- Outstanding Year 7 Boy – John-James Glaister