On Wednesday 12 September, we celebrated the successes of our current Year 8 students for their achievements throughout Year 7, in their first academic year at Workington Academy.
It was a fantastic occasion, led by Miss Tweddle – Director of Learning and watched on by a full to capacity performance hall full of proud parents and carers. The ceremony was opened by a dazzling performance by the Year 7 Cheerleading Squad and Year 7 student Dylan Bragg singing a solo rendition of George Ezra’s ‘Paradise’, as photos of achievements and highlights from the previous academic year rolled in the background.
The ceremony was very much as it should be – centred around and led by our students and the evening saw a record number of students being recognised for their achievements in a wide variety of areas accomplished within the last academic year. Students picked up certificates, medals, trophies and prizes, not only for academic excellence but for a range of triumphs. These included outstanding effort and diligence, attendance, progress, sporting and music achievements, extra-curricular contributions, individual subject awards, vivo reward points, house honours, form tutor awards and accolades in recognition of our Workington Academy values – respect, responsibility and resilience.
The ceremony culminated in the awarding of the Outstanding Boy and Girl Awards, which this year were presented to Charlotte Grimshaw and Kai Turner in recognition for their excellent contributions to all aspects of Workington Academy life and achievements both in and out of the classroom.
The final award of the evening was the prestigious Cumbria Education Trust Award, which was awarded to Ellie Ritchie for her display of our core values of ‘Respect, Responsibility and Resilience’ and living by our motto of ‘be the best you can be’ in all aspects of her Year 7 career and contributing to our Workington Academy school community in many different ways.
The evening was a fantastic showcase – with students applauding and encouraging all award winners and celebrating all students who had demonstrated being ‘the best that they can be’ throughout the last academic year – well done to all involved!
Miss Tweddle and Mrs Robertson would like to congratulate all award winners and all members of ‘Team Year 7 2017-18’.
Individual Award Winners – Team Year 7 (2017-2018):
- 7G Tutor Award – Charlotte Livingstone
- 7W Tutor Award – Ellis Jackson
- 7T Tutor Award – Olivia Smith
- 7N Tutor Award – Lewis Sutton
- 7R Tutor Award – Harrison Haywood
- 7K Tutor Award – D’Arcy Rice
- Top Year 7 and Whole School Vivo Points Scorer Award – Tyler Jack Richardson
- Outstanding Classroom Performance – Demi Dodgson
- Bessemer House Award – Ashleigh Cumming
- Curwen House Award – Macey Hewer
- Risman House Award – Libby Maxwell
- Thompson House Award – Keeley Bird
- Top Team Player Award (Female) – Yasmin O’Hare
- Top Team Player Award (Male) – Josh Hill
- Outstanding Year 7 Sporting Contribution (Male) – Kian Jones
- Outstanding Year 7 Sporting Contribution (Female) – Demi Dodgson
- Workington Academy Progress Award – Thomas McDermott
- Outstanding Year 7 Girl – Charlotte Grimshaw
- Outstanding Year 7 Boy – Kai Turner
- Cumbria Education Trust Award – Ellie Ritchie