On Wednesday, 11 September 2019, we celebrated the successes of our current Year 8 students for their achievements throughout Year 7, in their first academic year at Workington Academy.
It was a fantastic occasion, led by Miss Tweddle – Director of Learning and watched on by a full to capacity performance hall full of proud parents and carers.
The ceremony was opened by Year 8 student Layla Nicol singing a solo rendition of Calum Scott’s ‘You Are The Reason’, as photos of achievements and highlights from the previous academic year rolled in the background.
The ceremony was very much as it should be – centred around and led by our students and the evening saw a record number of students being recognised for their achievements in a wide variety of areas accomplished within the last academic year.
Students picked up certificates, medals, trophies and prizes, not only for academic excellence but for a range of triumphs. These included outstanding effort and diligence, attendance, progress, sporting and music achievements, extra-curricular contributions, individual subject awards, reward points, house honours, form tutor awards and accolades in recognition of our Workington Academy values – respect, responsibility and resilience.
The ceremony culminated in the awarding of the Outstanding Boy and Girl Awards, which this year were presented to Lily James and Owain Graham in recognition for their excellent contributions to all aspects of Workington Academy life and achievements both inside and outside of the classroom.
The final award of the evening was the prestigious Cumbria Education Trust Award, which was awarded to Elden Taylor for his display of our core values of ‘Respect, Responsibility and Resilience’ and living by our motto of ‘be the best you can be’ in all aspects of his Year 7 career and contributing to our Workington Academy school community and to Cumbria Education Trust in many different ways.
The evening was a fantastic showcase – with students applauding and encouraging all award winners and celebrating all students who had demonstrated being ‘the best that they can be’ throughout the last academic year – well done to all involved!
Miss Tweddle and Mrs Robertson would like to congratulate all award winners and all members of ‘Team Year 7 2018-19’
Individual Award Winners – Team Year 7 (2018-2019):
- 7G Tutor Award – Luke Irving
- 7W Tutor Award – Karmen O’Pray
- 7T Tutor Award – Marissa Sinclair
- 7N Tutor Award – Brooke Pavitt
- 7R Tutor Award – Jaxon Graham
- 7K Tutor Award – Darci-Leigh Askew
- Top Year 7 Rewards Points Scorer Award – Cara Thompson
- Outstanding Classroom Effort – Amy Shervinton
- Outstanding Classwork – Preston Keeler
- Outstanding Contribution in lessons – Riley Burns
- Outstanding Responsibility for Learning – Jenna Haughin
- Outstanding Home-learning – Keira Grimley
- Bessemer House Award – Ellie Bailiff
- Curwen House Award – Erin-Nicole Peers
- Risman House Award – Kian Stewart
- Thompson House Award – Sam Kelly
- Top Team Player Award (Female) – Hannah White
- Top Team Player Award (Male) – Jayden O’Pray
- Outstanding Year 7 Sporting Contribution (Male) – Alfie Johnstone
- Outstanding Year 7 Sporting Contribution (Female) – Lilly Nixon
- Workington Academy Progress Award – Luke Irving, Kian Rollo
- Workington Academy Resilience Award – Leah Kelly
- Outstanding Year 7 Girl – Lily James
- Outstanding Year 7 Boy – Owain Graham
- Cumbria Education Trust Award – Elden Taylor