The West Coast Sixth Form is a joint post-16 provision formed by the collaboration between The Whitehaven Academy and Workington Academy. Both schools are proud members of Cumbria Education Trust.
The Headteacher of West Coast Sixth Form and Workington Academy, Mark Bedford said:
“Cumbrian schools are proud to serve our children, their families and the communities they come from. Results this year demonstrate yet again the resilience of Cumbrian youngsters and their dedication to their studies. The achievements of the students are all the more remarkable for the challenges many families have faced due to the cost of living crisis, and we congratulate them all on the manner in which they have conducted themselves in what continues to be extraordinary times.
More so than ever, students have been faced with adversity and the challenge of Level 3 study is never easy, but the skills and strategies our young people have developed during their time in Sixth Form will ensure that they continue to be successful and resilient throughout their life. Our students have reflected our ethos of ‘Be the Best You Can Be’, as they strive for their own personal success. We are incredibly proud of the students who have achieved the results required to take their next steps, whether that be university, an apprenticeship or employment and we wish them well for the future.”
The Headteacher of Whitehaven Academy, Nigel Youngman said:
“Our students did not sit their formal GCSE exams due to the Covid-19 pandemic and many had to face the demands of external examinations for the first time this year. They have coped with this intense pressure admirably and, here at the West Coast Sixth Form, we are so proud of the way our students have risen to the challenge.
Today is about celebrating some of the incredible achievements of our young people. It is for this reason that we like to recognise the individual success stories below and congratulate all the young people on their achievements today and wish them all the very best for the future.”
Pleasing results were achieved by many including:
- Isaac Fillingham: Digital Media Dist*, IT Dist*, Computer Science A, Core Maths A
- Lauren Green: Business Dist*, Digital Media Dist*, Applied Science Dist, Extended Project A
- Jessica Holliday: English Literature A, Religious Studies A, History B, Extended Project A
- Liam King: Business Dist*, Sport Science Dist*, Applied Science Dist*, Core Maths A
- Isla Parkes: Business Dist*, Geography B, Applied Science Dist*, Core Maths A
- Bekkie Rothery: English Language A, Religious Studies B, History A, Core Maths A
- Luke Thompson: Further Maths A, Maths A*, Physics A, Chemistry B