At Workington Academy we have a balanced curriculum that is designed to challenge each child towards achieving their learning goals and becoming ‘the best they can be’. Our curriculum is underpinned by our three core values:
Respect – for ourselves and each other to allow all members of our school community to express themselves and achieve challenging goals
Responsibility – for learning and personal development, for our actions and the consequences they have.
Resilience – in all aspects of life especially learning and academic progress.
Our curriculum is:
- designed to provide quality learning opportunities to all learners, be broad, balanced and flexible.
- supportive of learners with specific learning needs allowing them to progress in the classroom.
- meets all requirements of the National Curriculum.
- provides opportunities for learners to progress at the end of KS4 and KS5 into appropriate pathways.
At key stage 3 students will study a wide range of subjects and in many of these they are organised into sets based on ability:
The table below indicates teaching hours per fortnight.
|Subject||Year 7||Year 8||Year 9|
|Design and Technology||4||4||4|
*Students will take either French or German
The key stage 4 options process begins in year 9 with students choosing their preferred subject options. We provide lots of advice and guidance at this important time to ensure students get the best out of their education.
Core subjects studied by all in key stage 4:
Students may then choose a pathway of study which includes 4 choices from the following:
- Performing Arts
- Design and Technology
- Food Studies
- Business Studies
- Health and Social Care
- Childcare and development
- GCSE PE
- Sports Science
- Triple Science (in addition to core double science)
- Additional support in English and maths
All students must take one from the following: History, Geography, French and German. Students on the EBACC pathway must take a humanity and a language.
Key stage 5 course details can be found in the Sixth Form section of the website here.
For more information see the individual subject area pages below or contact Mr M Bedford, Deputy Head via email@example.com